Learn how to add new features and correct errors in street names and building descriptions on Google maps.
After many years of waiting, most Internet users around the world can finally use Google’s Map Maker tool.
The online application allows you to add new objects to the popular Google Maps in your country, such as stadiums or restaurants, all kinds of roads, such as bicycle paths, railway lines, or highways, and to determine the shapes of lakes, parks, and buildings.
All you need is a Google account and a bit of time to edit the map. The information entered must be accepted by the community or Google employees who oversee the correctness of modifications.
We edit an existing location
Before we can edit an existing location, such as store or restaurant information, we need to locate it on a Google map (maps.google.com).
1. Left-click on the place you want to edit, for example, Kindergarten No. 150.
Then in the description window, we select the more and Change description options.
2. To make changes to the description, click on one of the details, for example, Hours, and edit it.
3. After making changes, click Submit. You’ll need to do so if you haven’t logged in to your Google account.
Read also: Tribler: a social bittorrent client
We are adding a new place to the map
If we have discovered an interesting place in our city that is not on Google Maps, we can add it. To do this, just use the tool provided by the company from Mountain View – Google Map Maker.
1. Log in to your Google account and open the website www.google.com/mapmaker. If you want to add a place, click ADD NEW and then Add a place.
2. The cursor will be changed to a marker.
We move it to the location where we want to add a new place (see the picture above) and click the left mouse button.
3. We can select one of the displayed categories or enter our own in the Enter field to select a category (when typing, Google will display hints).
After specifying the category, enter the name of the place Well with Oligocene water in the field below. We click on Continue.
4. On the left side of the Map Maker application window, complete the detailed information about the place we added (remember to provide as much data as possible). Finally, click on the Save option.
Again, nearby objects will be displayed on the left. If our entry does not coincide with existing objects, select This is not a duplicate. Finally, click on the Continue button.
5. To check the status (see image below) of the place we entered, we go to My changes.
If Google accepts our property, we will receive an email notification.
Attention! Approval can take up to two weeks.
We add a road or path
Map Maker also allows you to add all kinds of roads. For example, the user can place a road, walking or cycling path, and even railway tracks on the map.
1. We open the website www.google.com/mapmaker. Now on the map, go to the place where you want to add the path (for ease, it is worth changing the map view from satellite to traditional).
2. If we want to add a path, click ADD NEW and add roads, rivers, and railway lines. Then select Trail/Path. Use the line tool to draw a path.
If you want to finish drawing, press Enter or move the cursor to the last point and press the left mouse button twice: The path she used is drawn.
3. Then, in the options on the left, complete the detailed information about the path. We choose Save. Just like in the case of adding an object, we must wait for the change to be accepted. You can track the status of your entry by going to My Changes.
We add a new outline
If we want to add a place to the map that covers a larger area, for example, a park outline, it is worth using the last tool in Map Maker – Draw a shape.
1. We open the website www.google.com/mapmaker. Now on the map, we go to the place where we want to add the outline of, for example, a park. Click on ADD NEW and Add Natural Objects and Political Boundaries. Select a category and select Border. We click on Continue.
2. Draw the park’s shape using straight lines and press Enter. Complete the information and select the Save option.
Nearby objects will be displayed on the left side of the screen. If our entry does not coincide with the existing objects, select This is not a duplicate and finally, select the Continue option.
3. We have to wait for the changes to be accepted. After a maximum of two weeks, the outline we entered will be visible on Google Maps.